Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Do u know your culture?

Even if you are not a missionary (or person with gift of an apostle), it is useful to know what culture you are in. And what and why are people thinking, reacting and living as they are.

What do you know about Estonia?

So. It is small and wannabe-ambitious? But what else? Okay, its post-communist, innovative and secular. But can u explain the reality I live more? What stories did my grandparents use to tell me? How have we been forced to think? Who are our greatest heroes and thinkers?

Or what about your country? What heritage u are having, what scars have your parents been bareing? What winds use to blow in the fields of your history?

Listening to one bold preacher Mark Driscoll I got inspired to learn more about my culture, and my people. I did not like the books by Tammsaare (guy on 25 crowns), but now I understand more of his, that old writers influence. How important was handwriting of his that wrote so publicly those first atheistic lines in our memories!

Or the trains in the forties. Or forced campaigns in the sixties. Or great fruitfulness songs that previous generations of Estonians so dearly used to sing. Do I still read the magazines written for young estonian army-guys, do I notice what message our young pop-singers try so desperately cry out? Do I know what icons we are putting on our stamps?

I want to live in this culture. Because it is the world I am.

No comments: