Sunday, May 18, 2008

Creating blockbuster characters

I’m still awake one hour more and I’m thinking about characters. It is the day of the upcoming GU (the 51st one!) and I’m gonna walk-run-crawl on the stage of Vanemuine theatre.

This time, I’m gonna do it as an actor.. but before today I haven’t had such a long list of different characters!

And actually I haven’t been this old ever before either. And never before have I been challenged in so many different acting-styles at once. And if this wasn’t enough, I also have to be able to shine together with the favourite of many, Daniel.

Now. As much as I have thought about theatre-issues, there are a few things I remind myself when I make up characters. I think that a nice-living-funny character should be:

1. Special. Differing from the ordinary. In some way spectacular.

2. Confident. To be confident even when playing insecure. The actor has to be able to laugh at himself inside of this character.

3. Unique. He has to be created for this moment, not being a copy of anything earlier or a beginning of anything to come.

4. Stereotypical. In him, there has to be something ancient factor that makes him funny. Something stereotypical. (for example man-but-a-woman, big-but-clumpsy, small-but-evil)

5. Alive. This might be the hardest one, but he should play for the last rows of universe, not only to the auditory. He has to be worth of playing.

And now it is time to see how I live out my theories...

3 comments:

davecup said...

How did GU go? Hard to believe there have been so many!

m2rtsaar said...

it went well! less than 500 crowd, but many said that it was again, one of the best.

afterparty had aslo a lot of ppl, nearly 200. its a good next step.

davecup said...

wow, it must have been good so many moved forward to the next step