Friday, May 16, 2008

It is written...

I am sure I have a lot of sceptical, but still open-minded readers. I have to be honest with you and say that also I get hurt. For example by middle-aged Estonians.

As I discuss with people of that generation, I read between the lines some kind of bitterness towards the Bible. Their attitude seems to be as if they once a upon a time were like me (23 years-old) and believed just like me.

But not anymore.

Bitterness. Not that kind of wise, settled understanding. Rather some type of sour recalling of an apple that they hoped to be sweet.

Some of them say that the Bible is a question of interpretation. Then there are those who say that the Bible is very narrow-minded (it seems to me that most that typoe of remarks are connected with sexual relationships). And some are stuck behing things in the Bible that they can’t rationally explain (who could have written the prayer in Getsemane, when everyone was asleep?)

But as I look at the Bible, I see that Jesus (imagine: God in a human skin) behave in another way with the holy scripture.

He is 12 year old and in the midst of celebrations in
Jerusalem, sitting among teachers, listening to them and asking questions.

He is back in his home in Nazareth and opens the scroll of one book in the synagoge and comments: ”today this Scripture has been fulfilled!”

He is with the ruler of the world, Satan, in the midst of desert rocks and strikes cruelly back with sentences like “it is written”, “it’s written”, “it’s said”.

Our middle-aged generation is disappointed in “the written-is-truth”. They are few, who take the Bible really as it is written. And in doing that, they have lost the ability to see the Bible as it says it is, being life-changing and in function. And as if they have won as a prize a sour apple.

But I would rather learn from Jesus.

No comments: