Saturday, November 1, 2008

Soldier father

Brian is a soldier. Having had his wars in Iraq and Afganistan for years. And even other places. But actually he is relatively young guy. Yes, older than me, but still ready to eat steak with me.

My dear friend Adam introduced him to me.

"My biggest flaw is drinking," said Brian with deep voice of a soldier and laughed with masculinity. His hear was nicely cut straight, but his eyeglasses still give him a smart look. "But you know, everyone has their flaw. For some these are relationships, for some something else..."

What I really liked about Brian was the fact that he never looked me up-down. Because, what do I have to offer him with an experience of an Estonian army? Or why should he bother explaining me what one or another thing means in steak-menu?

He has four children. One he wanted stop coming, but then still let come. "I wouldn't imagine my life without that last kid."

Actually, one of his key moments of life was the day when his wife asked him to stop going to war. As a lovely believer woman she is, she never threatened him with divorce, but simply said: you have two options... you know your family or time passes and you won't any more.

Brian made the right choice. And so we were there, drinking. He his beer and me my orange juice. But Brian is actually still a soldier... they go with their family shooting. Both with 800m rifles and also with compound-bows. For me - honestly - that sounds neat!

No comments: